Now Shipping: MegaDots 2.5
The MS-DOS braille translator that keeps working for the volume transcriber and producer
MegaDots 2.5 runs under 32-bit Windows versions: XP, Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8. MegaDots 2.5 will not run on 64-bit systems without the use of a Virtual PC.
- Product Overview
- Product Features
- Does MegaDots Do Windows?
- How Do People Use MegaDots
- Download MegaDots 2.5 Now
MegaDots is a mature DOS braille translator with powerful features for the volume transcriber and producer. Its straightforward, style-based system and automated features let you create great braille with only a few keystrokes. Yet it is sophisticated enough to please the fussiest braille producers -- you can control each step MegaDots follows to format, translate and produce braille documents.
News Flash: Introducing MegaDots 2.5
All the advantages of earlier versions, with so much more:
MegaDots 2.5 New Features
- The MegaDots 2.5 importer has been modernized so that MegaDots can now import the file types that DBT 11.1 can import: Word 2003, Word 2007, Word 2010, Excel, Open Office, WordPerfect, and native Duxbury dxp files. This importer is called "DBT assisted import: DBT, Word, WP", and has a numeric code of 1200.
- MegaDots 2.5 is designed to import files that use the Word Template (BANA Braille 2010) created by Susan Christensen. While this template was designed to produce files for DBT, it can now be used to make files for MegaDots.
- MegaDots 2.5 is designed to export files that use the Susan Christensen Template. This is a good way to move MegaDots files (print or braille) to Duxbury DBT. First export from MegaDots to BANA Template/Word, then import this Word file into DBT. Importing braille files into DBT requires DBT 11.1 SR3 or later.
- There is a new importer designed as a variation called "DBT assisted import: OCR to Textfile". This importer helps enrich the format of a Word file, if the Word file is in a "plain vanilla" format as often happens with OCR software. The numeric code for this importer is 5000.
- If you own DBT 11.1, you can import math files from MathType, Scientific Notebook, or InftyReader. You can save these math files as Duxbury DXP files. MegaDots 2.5 can import these math DXP files.
- When MegaDots imports and translates a file, it converts some ambiguous math-style markup to literary markup.
- If you import a file with unambiguous math symbols, MegaDots automatically applies the Nemeth style sheet.
- MegaDots can use your copy of Microsoft Word to export inkprint files to Word files from within MegaDots (export
to Your Copy of Microsoft Word 2003 or Your Copy of Microsoft Word 2007). If you export to Word 2007/2010,
MegaDots adds an "x" to the file extension, so the resulting file name ends in
- MegaDots can also use your copy of Word to export to RTF or PDF file types. Export to PDF requires Word 2007/2010 with the appropriate add-on to allow for this feature.
- Exporting a braille file to the Web (html) or Your copy of Word gives good results with the correct braille page divisions.
- MegaDots no longer contains file conversion software licensed from other companies.
- MegaDots contains two True-Type screen fonts, one with and one without shadow dots (MegaDots window braille has shadow dots, MegaDots cleaner braille does not).
- MegaDots 2.5 contains up-to-date Embossit software, so it supports the latest embossers.
- MegaDots 2.5 now supports multiple Embossit configurations, making it easier to support multiple embossers with Embossit.
- When you are in the MegaDots Editor, the last item in the Help Menu now brings up a new browser window to give complete access to cross-referenced MegaDots documentation.
- Click here for a fuller list of improvements in MegaDots 2.5.
- New version MegaDots 2.5 is shipped on CD-ROM for easy installation. All the documentation is available from a simple menu on your browser.
- MegaDots 2.5 runs under 32-bit Windows versions: XP, Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8. MegaDots 2.5 will not run on 64-bit systems without the use of a Virtual PC. MegaDots 2.5 automatically installs your Windows icons.
- MegaDots 2.5 includes improved script files for JAWS for Windows
- MegaDots 2.5 now imports Word 2003/2007/2010 files.
- Since MegaDots recognizes many file formats, you can bring in virtually any document and set it up for braille. MegaDots supports all commercial braille embossers and all modern inkprint printers (except for a small group of inkprint printers that are Windows-only).
- Whenever you want to see how the braille looks, press the Translate key. Suddenly you're looking at the same words, but in braille! You can jump around, edit or enter more braille. Braille entry can be done using a six-key technique, or as "Inkprint in braille", where the words you type become braille as you type them. When you are done in braille, press the Translate key once more and you return to print.
- Users of voice and refreshable braille displays will appreciate interacting with software tailored for blind access. Screens are simple and free of clutter, and you don't have to fuss around to know where you are in the software. When you move into a new area, the name of the screen is spoken, such as "Editor", "Main menu" or "Save file help".
- For large print users, MegaDots supports popular screen enlargement programs, as well as a built-in large text mode. You'll never have to scroll around looking for text or information that's off the screen. All you need to see is right there in front of you.
- For sighted users, MegaDots has a familiar look and feel. Pull-down menus, point and click mouse interaction and colorful screens make working fun. The braille itself can be viewed in a variety of forms, depending on what is most readable for you.
- MegaDots gives you the features you expect from a modern word processor, such as macros, bookmarks, and find and replace.
Features in MegaDots 2.5
- Optically scanned documents are automatically recognized and cleaned
up - before you even edit your document!
- MegaDots knows that optical scanners make visual mistakes and has a system for changing nonsense back into the right words. And now, optically scanned documents are automatically recognized and cleaned up - before you even edit your document! Just import your optically scanned document, and obviously misspelled text is corrected, i.e., "farnily" is changed to "family". Other common format errors are also fixed, such as split paragraphs and misnumbered list items.
- Here's how it works. First, the scanned document's format is cleaned up. For example, optical scanners often break up paragraphs inappropriately or misnumber lists of items. MegaDots correctly formats these areas. It can even remove the garble that results from scanning pictures or graphics within the text. The text itself is then cleaned up, one word at a time. MegaDots will find and correct any obviously misspelled words before you even view your imported document. Running headers, footers and page numbers that occur on each page are removed and used for print page indicators in the document.
- Improved Spell Checker
- We've added over 20,000 words to the dictionary. The Spell Checker now recognizes over 110,000 words.
- Large Print Features!
- Create beautiful large print up to five times as tall and wide as standard fonts (up to 64 point).
- MegaDots supports your printer's scalable fonts for the most attractive possible large print.
- With new large print page indicators, you'll be able to follow page numbers from the original text.
- Advanced Inkprint Printing Capabilities
We're proud to present these useful features designed specifically to make learning and proofreading braille easier. And while we were at it, we threw in quite a bit for users who need high quality, customizable inkprint, too.
- MegaDots now supports all modern inkprint printers, except for a small group that are Windows-only).
- Choose from ten different kinds of inkprint braille.
- Make inkprint braille and text on the same page in three different formats: side by side, word by word, and line by line.
- Side by Side displays the braille page next to the print page on one sheet.
- Word by Word puts the print word directly over each braille word.
- Line by Line mode puts the print line above each braille line.
- Adjustable vertical and horizontal spacing makes inkprint layout to your most exacting specifications.
- Get a detailed document overview with the Interpret Format feature.
- New Interpret Format screen shows you what's in your document: how many and which styles it uses; whether there are tabs, running headers, or print page indicators; and other useful information. This overview helps you check the "big picture" of your document.
- Make global changes to your document. For example, change all Poetry paragraphs to Body text.
- Within the overview, you can ask for greater detail. For example, you can view just the poetry in your document, or all of the print page indicators.
- Within one of these views, you can jump straight to that place in the text. Or, stay within the view, and make changes there.
- Use Interpret Format to adjust the importation of a document. When used right after import, you can adjust MegaDots' document cleanup, how MegaDots selects styles and what import features or styles to use while importing.
- Easy Table Formatting!
We have worked with the pickiest braille transcribers to revamp our table formatting.
- MegaDots follows all of the new BANA and British table rules.
- MegaDots will automatically squeeze the table to fit on the braille page.
- If you braille table is too wide for the braille page, MegaDots can put it on two facing pages.
- Column Blocking lets you cut and paste entire columns.
- Format your word list in columns with Make Clipboard Columns. This feature now lets you choose the number of columns you want to generate.
- MegaDots now handles diacritics.
MegaDots now supports all of the diacritical marks shown in the textbook format codebook. This speeds up another laborious aspect of making braille.
Does MegaDots Do Windows?
Yes, even though MegaDots 2.5 is still an MS-DOS application. MegaDots works with 32-bit Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8.
- If a blind person uses mainly Windows applications on their computer, can they use MegaDots with voice or refreshable Braille access? Yes. JAWS works in DOS applications. We have included a set of MegaDots script files.
- Can MegaDots print through Windows? We have greatly simplified the process of printing braille from MegaDots through Windows.
How Do People Use MegaDots?
- Large braille production services use MegaDots to produce braille textbooks efficiently for blind students. The program's speed lets them move through a great amount of material in a short time.
- Elementary school students as young as third grade are using MegaDots to make braille and to learn about computers.
- Teachers find MegaDots helpful in quickly getting braille to their blind students. There are exercise and directions styles for making exams and worksheets in MegaDots.
- MegaDots is used by several deaf-blind persons as their main reading and writing tool.
- Blind computer programmers use MegaDots to make computer program listings in braille.
- Volunteer transcriber groups use MegaDots in a variety of ways--both for translation and for 6-key direct entry of braille.
- Schools and transcribers use MegaDots to make grade one braille in Spanish, French, German, Italian, and Portuguese.
Copyright Duxbury Systems, Inc. Wednesday, July 31, 2013